主语从句在复合句中作主句的主语,引导主语从句的词有从属连词that, whether以及连接代词who, what,which, whoever, whatever, whichever和连接副词when, where, why, how等.
That she was chosen made us very happy.
What caused the accident is a completemystery.
Whether she will come or not is still a question.
Which team will win the match is stillunknown.
Whoever comes to the party will receive apresent.
When they will start has not been decidedyet.
It is a pity that she has made such amistake.
It depends on the climate whether they aregoing shopping today.
1)It is + adj. / n. +从句
It is a pity/shame that…遗憾的是……
It is possible that…很可能……
It is unlikely that…不可能……
It seems/appears that…似乎……
It happened that…碰巧……
3)It + be +过去分词+从句
It is said that…据说……
It is known to all that…众所周知……
It is reported that…据报道……
It is believed that…据信……;人们相信……
It is suggested that…有人建议……
It must be pointed out that…必须指出……
It has been proved that…已证明…….
It is believed that at least a score ofbuildings were damaged or destroyed.
It is suggested that the meeting should beput off.
It\’s reported that three people were killedin the accident and five were hurt badly.
It is known to all that Taiwan is aninseparable part of China.
1. Does_______ matter if he can\’t finish the job on time?
A. this B. that C. he D. it
2. It worriedher a bit _______ her hair was turning grey.
A. which B. that C. if D. for
3. _______ isa fact that English is being accepted as an international language.
A. There B.This C. That D. It
what既有引导主语从句的作用,同时又在从句中作句子成分(主语、宾语、表语等).这时what相当于all that/everything that…,常译成\”所……的(东西、事情、话等.)\”;而that只起连接作用,本身无实际意义,在从句中也不担当任何句子成分.但that引导的主语从句放在句首时,不能省略that.
What is done can\’t be undone.
What we can\’t get seems better than what wehave.
我们得不到的东西似乎比已得到的要好. That we should work out a plan to deal with the present serioussituation is important.
That a new teacher will come to teach usgeography is true.
4. _______what they told me really true?
A. Has B. Is C. Does D. Have
5. It matterslittle _______ a man dies, but _______ matters much is _______ he lives.
A. how; what;how B. how; it; how C. why; it; why D. that; what; that
6. _______ shecouldn\’t understand was _______ fewer and fewer students showed interest in herlessons.
A. What; whyB. That; what C. What; because D. Why; that
7. It ispretty well understood _______ controls the flow of carbon dioxide in and outthe atmosphere today.
A. that B. when C. what D. how
8. _______ fashion differs from country tocountry may reflect the cultural differences from one aspect.
A. What B. That C. This D. Which
9. -What made her parents so angry? – _______ she had failed in the examination. A. As B. Because C. Since D. That
Whether she will go home or not is unknown.
Whether we shall raise ducks or geeseremains to be decided.
It remains to be decided whether/if we shall raise ducks orgeese.
If we shall raiseducks or geese remains to be decided.
10. _______we\’ll go camping tomorrow depends on the weather.
A. If B.Whether C. That D. Where
连接代词who, which, whom,whose有各自的意义,起连接作用,并在从句中充当语、宾语、表语、定语等;连接副词when,where, why, how等有各自的意义,起连接作用,并在从句中充当状语.
11. -Do youremember _______ he came? -Yes, I do. He came by car.
A. how B. whenC. that D. if
12. It was amatter of _______ would take the position.
A. who B.whose C. whom D. whomever
13. -I droveto Zhuhai for the air show last week. -Is that _______ you had a few days off? A. why B. when C. what D. where
14. I readabout it in some book or other, does it matter _______ it was?
A. where B.what C. how D. which
在It is necessary / natural/ important / strange…+ that-clause
It is necessary that the problem should besettled at once.
It\’s strange that he should have gone awaywithout telling us.
15. It isnecessary that a college student _______ at least a foreign language.
A. masters B.should master C. mastered D. will master
\”It be + adj./n. + that-clause\”与强调句型均有It be…that…之类的语言标志,但不同的是:①前者中的that从句是主语从句.若删掉其中的It be和that,则剩余部分不论结构还是语意都不能成为一个句子;但若将后者中的It be和that去掉,则剩余部分的结构和语意仍能构成一个完整的句子.②强调句型译为汉语时可加上\”正是……\”或\”就是……\”之类的字眼,而主语从句则不可以.
It is surprising that Mary should have wonfirst place.
令人惊奇的是玛莉竟然获得了第一名. It is Mary that has won first place.
第二句是强调句型,其中的It is和that可以去掉,因为没有It is和that句子仍然很通顺.